Pages

Tuesday 25 November 2008

Handy tip for hinged lids on ink pads.

As usual, i have come across a handy tip whilst breaking something! A tip that will probably be the most plainly obvious tip in history, but many people may not know you can do it without breaking something.

I'm talking about the hinged ink pads like Versafine and Versamark. I don't know about you, but whilst the inks is great, i find the hinged lids the most annoying and fiddly things to use ever! When trying to use the pad, i end up with ink on my hands, due to trying to hold the pad between my fingertips and trying to hold the top and bottom of the pad together whilst the pad swings about with a mind of it's own!

Or is that just me? Anyway, whilst being all masterfull with the Versafine just now, i kind of broke it....but i discovered the hinge mechanism can be removed from the pads top and bottom, leaving you with a top that just drops on and off of the ink pad.

Heres your normal hinged pad......



Now carefully, take the plastic hinge piece off, it has two slots each end that just come out of the holes......you may need to use a tiny bit of force but the hinge does bend slightly so you can remove it from the slots.......



There you go....you are now left with a normal...less fiddly ink pad. I wouldn't say it fits as tight as a Stazon pad or similar, but it fits fine and you don't end up dropping the thing on your trousers like me!



The hinge can always be replaced later if you want to, say for travelling or something.

Hope it helps. :)

8 comments:

maddy hill said...

oh good tip calv - i hate those versafine lids sooooooooo much that i was gonna email them and tell them ... love the ink ... hate the lid ! i get ink everywhere - you not alone there !
i started putting a plastic sheet on my table and when i was doing alot of stamping i was resting it face down , cos i just got so covered in it ! off to go find my ink and try it !

Stig of Crafting said...

Hi Calvin, thanks for the kind words.If you saw the face with the mask off,you'd think every night was Fright Night! Next up Utensil Manor-watch this space!

Anonymous said...

Wow..such lovely work! And a great tip! I found you through Fab's blog and think you would be a great addition to our swap group Paper Follies. Please contact me through my blog or even contact Fab and we can send you an invite to join. Fab says your lovely wife is a crafter too! Maybe she would like to join as well? Thanks. I hope to hear from you soon. Greta

Anonymous said...

This is a great tip! I agree those lids are a pain. Great way of dealing with it though. Simple and effective!

Sarah C said...

Great idea and one I would never have thought about. I have something for you on my blog xx

Hels Sheridan said...

oooh, I never had any probs with these pads before...thanks for the tip though...BTW, you remember the Fimo toadstools? Well, you said that they were really easy to make...so I got myself some Fimo...and guess what? I made three!!! LOL And they are easy!!! Finally, something I can do without getting all mucky!! Hope you ok hun xx

Jami said...

Great tip!! You've just saved me from lots of ink all over my hands!
hugs, Jami

K said...

Hi, I just found your blog via Maddy's via Sugar Nellie (laughed like a crazy person at your "war") and I've been checking your posts and I cannot seem to understand the problem with the "swinging" lid. I love the VersaFine lids exactly because they are hinged and I don't loose the lids. Why would it swing if you can put it behind the pad? Like this?
Bye, Kitty