Pages

Saturday 2 May 2009

One for the little ladies...girls "secrets purse" tutorial.

Hi all....what do you think of my "girls secrets" purse?
.

.

.
As the gents gift wallet went down so well, plus the fact that i have heard about nothing else from my two young daughters....i felt it only right to balance things out and do a tutorial for a girly make.
.
I wanted to make my girls one anyway, but the inspiration for this particular theme came from a fantastic scrap booking LO i recently saw over on Toni's fantastic blog. Amongst Toni's many stunning LO's, her "Secrets" LO featuring her two daughters whispering to each other, reminded me so much of my two. Like any little girls, they love their secrets, and any little cute pockets to keep things in.
.
So that's how the idea came about......now how about making one yourselves? Here is an easier tutorial than the gents wallet, giving you more time to spend on the fun decorating bits.
.
Ok, firstly cut a piece of card 8 x 5 inches. *Please note these measurements will be different to the wallet, i have adjusted them slightly to make them less fiddly.
.
.
Next, like with the gents wallet, pick two pieces of patterned paper. Here i have used the "Wings" patterned paper from the Angelique Collection by Prima.
.
.
Now cover both sides of your piece of card, remembering that one side will be the inside of the purse, and the other the outside. Place your covered card in front of you, inside looking up at you.
.
.
Mark your purse folds with your scoring tool at the measurements shown, for a larger image, please click on the picture.
.

.
I find this a good time to give the front some decoration. All i have done here is used some lace, eyelets, distressed an inked the edges, added some fibres, a bloom with a fabric rose, and finally the word "Secrets". As you can see, i have used a simple Velcro dot for the closure.
.
.
Flip it over, and you are ready to do the inside. I've added a little lace again here already....
.
.
Now you need somewhere to hide those secrets. We are going to make a simple pocket, but you can use a pre-made envelope if you wish, maybe even a pretty little organza bag or similar?
.
For this pocket, cut yourself a strip of card 8 inches long. The top inch is for the pocket lid, and you can see that i have added some flaps at the side of the bottom 3 1/2 inches. The dotted lines are score lines which will be folded.
.

.
Cut some patterned paper the same shape, and cover the card. Score the fold lines.
.

.
Fold this pocket over in half, gluing the tabs inside to make the pocket. I have used a border punch on the flap, and some fibres and a ribbon and brad closure to pretty it up.
.
.
Add some more decoration if you wish. My eldest loves music, so i made a simple LO involving a handmade miniature wooden recorder, and a scroll of music. Instead of this, you could think about having a few journalling pages there, or a notebook to write the secrets on.
.
Just be careful of making the inside too bulky or it will not close. If you do envisage a bulky load inside, just slightly increase the distance between the the fold scorelines.
.
.
Thats it finished! One purse fit for a princesses secrets. :)
.
.

.
.

.
.
I hope you enjoyed it, thanks for looking and i look forward to seeing what you do with the design. :)
Thanks for looking.


26 comments:

Nora said...

Oh, Calv...I WANT one for ME! That is utterly delightful & I'm positive that your daughters think they have the bestest Daddy on the planet! Well, I think they do. It's dreary, rainy, and cool here today, so I'm crafting...may have to make one of these for me - nice place to hide my crafting wish list! *LOL*
Thanks for the great TUT.
~hugs~

Julie Allain said...

Ohhhhhhh I want one too!!

It's brillinat Calv!!

mE said...

OOOOOOH!!! Dude, this is FABULOUS! I love it! Gonna have to try it for one of my nieces! Love allll the fru fru!!

You rock :) Thanks for sharing!

mE.

Calv said...

Glad you like it...always nice to have good feedback....lets me know whether or not i've messed up or not lol.

"Love all the fru fru" lol....that had me chuckling, not heard that before. :)

Rachelxx said...

Gorgeous Calv :-)

It's obviously a 'girlie' thing as we all want one!! :-) I'm sure my nieces in Oz would love one & they have birthdays coming up................... :-)

Mardi said...

This is so adorable! Another one to add to my to do list! TFS!

Gez Butterworth said...

Fabulous Calv. I definately want one too!....

Those Prima papers are so lush. :-)

Jackie Elwin said...

just gorgeous Calv! now I want to make one too, or make that two, one for me to keep and one to give away:)
thanks for the tutorial.
Jackie

Ewonne said...

That is just gorgeous!!! And thanks for the tutorial ♥

sandra said...

Its sooo cute.Thanks for tutorial.
Sandra!

BlueRose said...

OMG I going to have to make one for myself as well. Nora was right how cute is that....TFS

lisa808 said...

So cute! tfs

Sassy's Ramblin's said...

This is AWESOME! now I must go ake one! Thanks so much for the tutorial!

Toni said...

Calv, This is so darn cute!!!! Luv the sheet music, u r sooo creative!!! Thanks a bunch 4 the shout out I really appreciate it!!!
hugs, Toni

Paulien van den Bosch said...

oh wow.... this project is absolutely adorable!!!!!
Bet your girls loved it!!!!!!
thanks for the tutorial!!!!

Lena Katrine said...

This is beautiful Calvin!

I have an award for you in my blog - go get it ;o)

Jessica said...

Calvin "Fru Fru" must be an americanism, as we use it all the time. As you have guessed it means frilly, or lacy or even girly. I love the secret keeper too. It is just the perfect place to stow our wish list. I can imagine being in the store and pulling it out of my purse to check the list. There would be such Oooing and Ahhhing! And they'd just have to know where I got it! Thanks for sharing!

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

Your Secrets Purse is wonderful, great details and places for surprises AND your amazing tutorial to go with....thank you for sharing the how to!
Thank you also for your visit to my Magpie's Nest Calv!

Calv said...

Thanks ever so much to you all for the lovely comments about the purse, it's nice to see such a positive reaction to the tutorial.

Beata Ewa said...

So lovely!! This is what ALL girls want!!
Great work - fabulous tutorial!

SK23584 said...

awesome!!! really fantastic, I also found this type of purse on www.talash.com and also I think that price is low, so pls check it before buy.

Unknown said...

Fabulous Purse Collection. I like it very much and want to buy and i also know site which provide online gifts and its related to online shopping so u can also visit this one.

http://eshop.ahmedabad.com/shop/category/apparels_&_accessories

Unknown said...

this is so Fabulous Collection of Girls Secrets Purse, I Also See this kind Of Purse At http://Sendgifts2india.com/shop/category/apparels_&_accessories

Anonymous said...

such a fantastic handicrafts items, I really like it, you may also find such kind of items at discount rate only on www.allindiagifts.com

Unknown said...

Secrets Purse is amazing, nice details also good tutorial to go with and really its helpful but if u want to buy any fashion apparels than visit this site.

http://eshop.webindia123.com/shop/category/apparels_&_accessories

tracy said...

beautiful, i will try one of these, wont be as good lol xx