Pages

Thursday 15 January 2009

A vintage maths make.

As most of us know, when it comes to learning, children respond better to things that are interesting to look at. Whether it's fun, pretty or just different, i think it's good to try and capture a kids attention for learning any way you can.

My girls often use different tools to help them with their maths. They are getting on well with the tag board i made them, but another one they use is the multiplication grid. So i made them one which is probably a little nicer to look at than the ones at school.



I made this in this style because I've always been fascinated by the detail and delicacy of items made hundreds of years ago. I could imagine this being found in the loft of a Victorian house where the kids were educated at home, one of those dusty finds that would have been used by the children of those days.
.
.
I know my daughters will love this, and hopefully it will be more of a pleasure to use than the normal plain ones.
.
.
I used some new lace i bought the other day, and also used some metallic lace trim for the outside of the piece. Alas the writing is not my own this time, i cheated and printed it from the computer. :)
.
.
I hope you like it as much as i think the girls will.
.
Thanks for taking a peek. :)

18 comments:

maddy hill said...

another gorgeous make calvin ! i adore the quote !

The girls will think its fabulous !

Tereza Crump said...

oh, Calv, this is the sweetest thing ever!! I wish I had a Daddy like you. :) LOL

Paula's ponderings said...

Simply gorgeous, your creativity never ceases to amaze me....I am n awe!!

camcraft said...

Truly wonderful Calv. Can only echoe all of the above words. Your a truly wonderful dad and a very talented chap!
Carole

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

this is lovely , it will make maths a whole lot better! :)
xx

Sparkle and Flourish said...

Stunning!!! I love it! What a great idea..not many Dads do this fo their girls! I have 3 boys so if I ever made something like this it would need to be slightly more masculine!! Judy x

Calv said...

Thanks everyone, i know that if the big girls like it, my little ones will too. :)

Tonniece said...

Wow, need another daughter Calv? Learning looks like so much fun at your house. What lucky girls.
This so pretty.

Sarah said...

Calv, that is just gorgeous although those multiplication grids bring back memories I wish to forget!! LOL!! Love the quote too.

Juliet said...

Well you have been busy Calv! I love the altered boxes - I bet Maddy and the girls loved them. You are a super dad!
Juliet x

Anonymous said...

beautiful and I am sure the girls will absolutely adore it

Michelle McGee said...

REALLY nice!

Tami Bayer said...

Such a beautiful way to learn math and the words are beautiful indeed.

Cazzy said...

I might have been good at tables if I had this when I was at school, it is lovely Calv.

Jaqi said...

What a great idea, my grand daughter would love something like this, its lovely, Jaqi

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

Another fab make Calv :)
Anne xx

julietk said...

Such a lovely thing to do, and gorgeous to, Not too sure about your treatment of Calvin mouse though :D
Juliet

Marianne said...

I'm so impressed ! What a wonderful thing to make for your daughters !! Your a indeed a wonderful dad and a very talented man !!